Friday 11 February 2011

When life gives you lemons...

preserve them!

My meyer lemon twig (I might promote it to tree status if it gets a bit more growth on it) supported 4 tiny little fruits while they ripened and I had a good think about the best way to get the most out of them.

It was a tough decision between lemon curd and preserved lemons. The preserved lemons won as I will get more extended use from such a small harvest, plus they'll go really well with some of my slow cooker recipes.

These are my little lemons compared to two that were bought from our local market a while ago. I'm using the large ones up too as they're a bit past their best.



I used this BBC Good Food recipe as a base - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3555/preserved-lemons

I added some lime juice into the mix as I had some that needed using up and a mixture of table and rock salt to make up to the approximate quantity I needed.





I'm looking forward to being able to eat these!

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant idea! I'm sure these will come in handy for many months to come.

    ReplyDelete